Thursday, November 19, 2020

Introducing a New Schoolyard Eco Blog Feature: Teacher Spotlights!


Shining the Spotlight on 

Elisa Margarita

           

 

  School:  Brooklyn Technical High School,  in New York City

HF Schoolyard Project:  Buds, Leaves and Global Warming

Grade Level: 11 and 12th grade 

Courses:  AP Environmental Science, Science Research

  

Let's learn more about Elisa's work with HF Schoolyard Ecology

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:  How did you decide to engage your students in a Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology project?

A: The nature of science is the topic that starts of the school year in the science courses. The goal is to help students think about questions such as how scientific inquiry answer questions about the natural world? How do observations lead to scientific inferences? How do scientific processes lead to a greater understanding of the natural world? How can data be analyzed to determine the outcome of an experiment or a set of observations? How do scientists share information and build upon others' work? Guiding the students through observation exercises and helping students discuss their thinking works well when they have a storyline that hooks them. The students become curious and learn more because they are engaged, which means something personal to them. The storyline I present is, how are our trees responding to climate change? What is happening to the growing season of the trees in our urban forest? The students build up-on this and begin forming their questions and thinking about the hypothesis.

I take the students outside on nature walks to observe and notice the abiotic and biotic factors around them in our urban setting. We continue with the nature walk and work on tree identification. I weave the HF study into the curriculum because I can dovetail science as a process with observations, data collection asking questions, and proposing a hypothesis. By participating in the tree study, students become invested in the research, and we expand the study to include ecological services, biomes, and climate change topics.


Q:  How did you choose the project (s) that you chose to lead at your school?

A: I chose HF Budburst from a random computer search while looking for citizen science projects to involve the students in real-world applications relevant to them.


Q:  Did you have any experience with Ecology before joining the Schoolyard Ecology Program? If so, please explain what previous exposure you had in working with/understanding Ecology?

A:  I have been teaching AP environmental science for seven years now. Before teaching this course, I have always been passionate about the natural world. In 2006 I became a master composter through the NYC Department of Sanitation and Queens Botanical Garden. I gained a more in-depth understanding of soils and health and sustainable practice through this experience. I volunteered on composting projects throughout NYC. I co-founded the eastern Queens Community Composters, and I was awarded a grant to create a compost education center at the Queens Museum farm Bellrose, NY.

Through Math for America, my science fellowship allowed me to participate in professional learning teams with themes involving the natural world and New York City's natural resources. I have learned from top-notch scientists in the field with boots on the ground research that applies to my content. Working with experts deepens my ecology knowledge, and this transferred into the joy of staying in the classroom to share students' learning process.   



Q:  How long have you led a Harvard Forest Schoolyard Project at your school?

A:    5- 6 years



Q:  What keeps you engaged in Schoolyard Ecology over time?

A:   I enjoy working side-by-side the scientist from HF as they guide me in the data analysis and help me gain a deeper understanding of the study. The whole experience reenergizes me.


Q:  What excites your students about Schoolyard Ecology? 
 

A:  The students love the idea of going outside regularly. They like how they get to slow down and notice what is happening with the trees in a way they never did before. 

The students like being part of a more ex-tensive network contributing to science. The students also like that they are passing a legacy down to the next class to continue the data analysis from where they left off.


 Q:  How you are supporting your students in overcoming or working with the challenges that they face in doing field ecology and/or classroom work associated with the Schoolyard project? 


A:  Some students rarely get to go outside and are afraid of bugs, they do not dress appropriately for the weather, and some are not familiar with the terminology. Some students have never been part of a project like this before. I try to bring extra coats and supplies with me to make students comfortable outside. I try to slow down my instructions and chunk tasks out in a doable fashion. I try not to make any assumptions and clearly explain and model what we are doing.


Q: Can you provide examples of ways that you have integrated project themes in your teaching? 

A:  I have the students work on data collection in the Fall and Spring. I then have the students write a report on their tree and the tree's ecological services to the urban setting. We use ITree/Mytree app to calculate the ecological services provided by the trees. We calculate the carbon sequestration for the tree. We 
analyze the types of lichen growing on the trees as a biological indicator. We also do a land use analysis and include the benefits of green spaces in an urban setting; we decide which trees we should plant in our urban green space through an urban planning activity.


Q:  Do you see/hear any evidence that your students are having positive learning outcomes from participating in Schoolyard Ecology projects?  

A:  I ask students to write a reflection at the end of the school year and to mention three positive experiences from the class. Every student mentions the HF study as one of their top favorite experiences. They love going outside weekly. The students say it changed the way they view their neighborhood, and where they were once tree blind now they see. Some have decided to pursue 
environmental science in college because of the experience.

Q:  How are you managing to adapt your project leadership techniques during COVID?   

A:  In the Spring, I took photos of our trees and the four branches every week and posted the photos to Google Classroom for the students to make observations. I also had the students do the backyard field study of a neighborhood tree if they could go outside. Many students were not allowed out-side, so the pictures were the primary way for me to carry on the student and include everyone.

This fall, I am fully remote, and my students are hybrid. I got permission to meet some of my students at the site, and we did an initial tree walk. We live-streamed the tree walk and introduction to the study via Zoom to the students who could not attend. I had 15 students attend in person, and 50 attend on Zoom.
We took photos of the trees, and I have been taking photos once a week and sending the photos to the students on Google Classroom.  I upload photos once a week.  I created teams of  3- 4 students, gave each student a role, explained the rules, and gave them a time frame for the fall portion of the study. 
Before meeting in person, I did a live stream about the study. I explained what phenology is and why it is essential. I did an introductory tree identification lesson, and I had the students do some observational drawings on leaves I collected from our site.

Q:  Do you have suggestions for other teachers leading Schoolyard Eco. Projects during COVID?  

A:  I would suggest to break the steps down into chunks. I would model and explain each step of the study. I would have students practice coding tree canopy and tree leaves. I would have students practice counting  leaves they are counting on each branch.


Q:  Which aspects of Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology have helped you to be successful in leading your project? Check all that apply and comment on how these have helped you specifically.
 

A:  Elisa checked the choices below re: forms of support applying to her work:

  • Intro to Schoolyard Ecology Workshop-Field practice; background science; Mentor Teacher presentations 
  • Looking at Data Workshop- Levels 1,2 and 3 Support with Data submission, graphing tool practice and graphing on excel, by hand, Sheets, etc.
  • Spring Workshop for Teachers- lightning slides; 5 and 10 year teacher recognition; field walks; teacher presentations; student work “poster session”
  • Online and/or paper Protocol overviews, step by step methods, field data sheets
  • Online Database – Data submittal, download data, graphing tools
  • Online presentations by Harvard Forest Scientists and Information Manager
  • Online Lesson plans from Schoolyard Eco Teachers
  • Data Nuggets-Eddy Flux Tower and Tree Ring 
  • Email and phone contact throughout the year via Schoolyard Coordinator and Scientists as needed



Q:  Is there anything else you would like to share with other teachers and our overall Blog audience? 
  
A:  The HF phenology study is authentic scientific experience students feel excited about. The students realize the connections between trees and our changing climate, and they want to contribute and take action. The students involved in the study are the next generation of environmental stewards and leaders. It is thrilling to see how the student's love and appreciation of the natural world grow out of this experience. 


Link to Elisa Margarita's Work:



Fall Phenology Remote Observations-Margarita-2020.pdf






Remote Buds Observations by Photos-Margarita-2020.pdf































1 comment:

  1. Loan offer at 2% rate is very interesting in which I found Pedro loan offer a genuine and fast loan process ever because ever since I Applied for a loan form Pedro and his loan company in new York I have been able to manage my business and settle other financial needs, Pedro and his loan company offer me a loan on a rate of 2% of 2 millions Euro for my start up business and I'm so proud to announce that Pedro loan offer is a best place to acquire for any kind of loans.

    Contact Pedro mail: pedroloanss@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete