What are the trees in your neck of the Woods looking like today? Let's take a look at Fall color changing in New England this season
Red Maple in mid October at Harvard Forest
Leaf Color Change From New York to New Hampshire
The Phenocam Network offers us a way of leaf peeping over time and across vast geographical ranges.
I have put together some images from across the Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology region to show you how foliage color varied between September 28th and Oct. 30th, which was when most of the color change occurred in these sites.
From the Southwestern end of our Region:
From the Southeast:
A Bit Further North Central:
Northern-most View at High Elevation:
Where does your site fit into this? Show us your color! If you have taken any photos of your field site this fall, please email me your photo with the date taken so I can post it here.
Thanks to Maryanne Rotelli from Hollis-Brookline High School for sending these 2 photos:
Study Branch, 10-06-15
Hollis-Brookline High School Field Site in Southern New Hampshire 10-26-15
More about Fall Foliage:
- Photos of tree canopies throughout US and Canada. Phenocam Network run by Harvard Ecologist, Andrew Richardson. See: http://phenocam.sr.unh.edu/webcam/
- News Article: Dry summer delays peak foliage as trees prep from winter. Oct. 2015 article from the Worcester Telegram and Gazette including quotes from Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecologist, John O'Keefe: http://www.telegram article-fall foliage
- News Article: Fall Foliage; Leaves Could Change Color and Drop Later, Scientists Say. Nov. 2015 article from the Huffington Post refers to John O'Keefe's Fall phenology data at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/06/fall-leaves-color-change-leaf-drop_n_997981.htm
- Phenocam Lesson Plans for using images and data with your students written by HF Schoolyard Teacher, Kate Bennett: Phenocam Lesson Plans Part 1-Bennett-2012.pdf and Phenocam Lesson plans part 2-Bennett-2012.pdf
- Fall Foliage lesson plans by Schoolyard Teacher, Joann Mossman pages 2-6 of: http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/Mossman.%202014.%20Intro%20Lessons%20to%20Buds%2C%20Leaves%20Presentation.pdf
- Fall Color practice sheets for Buds and Leaves field study. Pages 7,10-14 at: http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/sites/harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/files/data/k12/sy001/Phenology%20Robichaud%202007.pdf