Thursday, April 10, 2014

Spring Workshop for Teachers-2014

  

  Spring Workshop

Sights and Insights 

 
                      
  • Being able to hear from other teachers about what is working for them and what they plan on doing in the future - Thank you to JoAnn Mossman for all her ideas and help!!


 More comments about teacher presentations:

  • Vernal pool walk and Jud's presentation Both great
  • I was impressed by the High School field guide that was shown. I'm planning to follow the idea and do something for the younger students.
  • Teachers sharing how they do things in the classroom and outdoors is sooo helpful and encouraging.
  • Hearing all the other teachers and their approaches to similar problems was really useful.
  • I also find the presentations are a super way to learn from experienced teachers. I wish I could have heard every presentation
  • Teacher presentations are great. You learn so much from all levels. The idea sharing is great.
  • By seeing how others tackle similar tasks gives me ideas to try and expand upon.

Comments about field walk with Project Ecologists:



    
    Photo by Karen Murphy
  • I especially appreciated being able to spend time in the field with Dr. Orwig and a small number of like-minded HWA fans. I got a lot of details cleared up about the protocol and was able to discuss research questions concerning possible ways to combat these bugs. I also found a new way to document our findings on the egg sacs

                    
                    Photo by Clarisse Hart
     The forest walk was excellent. Such a great opportunity to view the forest site and have an opportunity to speak and share with everyone




  • I always appreciate time with Betsy! This time we also got to spend time in the lab with her looking at invertebrates under the microscope. this was very interesting and it would be most useful to have the opportunity to spend longer doing this in the future. In addition I also very much enjoyed hearing from teachers doing the other ecology projects. I would love at some point to be able to do some of these or take bits to use with my students

Photo by Maryanne Rotelli
  • Always the session with Dr. O'keefe- new information in the ppt presentation and great to walk outdoors with him. Teachers sharing how they do things in the classroom and outdoors is sooo helpful and encouraging.
  • John's explanations on what to look for when collecting information on the bud burst was wonderful, especially since it is the first time doing it.
  • Dr. O;Keefe's explanation of how trees and forests impact water flow and cloud cover- a great bigger picture!

Suggestions Anyone?

  •  more time with Betsy and her specimens. Also visiting other vernal pools with her. She spoke of some really good ones in Leominster. Maybe it would be possible to organize a trip there with her so we can see different types of pools including ones with fairy shrimps.
  • Give each presenter a set amount of time that includes Q + A.
  • It would be great to have a workshop on pond creature ID.
  • Time is always an issue, but trying not to overlap presentations would be the only improvement. It's hard!
  • My colleagues may not like this suggestion, but I'd love to do a workshop during April break ... so that I don't have to miss school (which is always 120% as much work as being there)
  •  maybe a little longer lunch time to informally connect with teachers, but not a great deal longer. I do not want to lose the other parts either!
  • Keep the teacher presentations, maybe add some specific meeting time for each group to chat quickly.
  • I know the weather is a challenge but I was hoping to do more outside but appreciate that we got so much information from one tree.
  • Perhaps a trouble-shooting session where veteran and new teachers exchange concerns, offer practical advice, etc. outside of the formal presentations.
  • Add another time for VP to look at critters under the microscope
  • Possibly separating the teacher presentations but all were very interesting even if it was not about our section

What will teachers bring with them back to their Schools?


  • I can now clearly find and identify the scale insects and talk about their relevance to the HWA's and pretty generally discuss just about everything involving the life cycle o these creatures.
I am looking forward to trying out my idea of using the student cell phone in order to easily document the egg sac hunt and then to count them by marking their presence on the photo of the branch.
  • I have some samples of lesson plans I may adapt for my classes and more resources. I have more background knowledge on vernal pools which will be helpful in answering student questions and designing lessons. I also got useful feedback for my question for my presentation about incorporating the Next generation science standards
  • We are already incorporating our vernal pool studies into our pond ecology programs but I am looking forward to including the Changing Forest and including the effects of farming on our water.
  • Joann and Jane's and John's pointers have given me confidence to move forward with this project.
  • Need to get those kids in the woods!

Want to see and hear more?


Here is the link to all the presentations' slides and audio per Clarisse Hart:

Watch and listen to them all at once or you can easily navigate to individual talks within this one file. Once the program loads, look on the left hand side of the page and click the little triangle next to “Lobby.” You’ll get a drop down menu of all the individual talks, and clicking one will take you directly to that talk.


We now have the individual talks split out as individual PDF files at: http://harvardforest.fas.harvard.edu/schoolyard/lesson-plans  
Look for them by project theme, teacher name and year. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment