Monday, January 28, 2019

All Things Data...Chock Full of updates and resources to help teachers approach Data Literacy through Schoolyard Ecology

Silver Linings and Workarounds; Data Workshop 2019

With Technology Glitches and all...Teachers Progressed in "Looking at Data" at the Harvard Forest Schoolyard Ecology Workshop for Teachers this Month



     Ecologist, Betsy Colburn opened the workshop with an introduction to  Looking at Data. 

Harvard Forest Mentor, Ann Lewis,
made some followup points related
to Looking at Data presentation.




Our Changing Forests Teacher, Joe Scanio gave a sneak preview into ways he represents project data spatially. 


         

Buds, Leaves and Global Warming Teacher, JoAnn Mossman shared her process of engaging students in producing and interpreting hand graphs of Leaf fall and Length of the Growing Season over time.




Harvard Forest Data Manager, Emery Boose provided a detailed introduction to managing and entering Schoolyard Ecology data for 1st year teachers. 

 



Harvard Forest Mentors and Schoolyard Teachers all had to think outside the box when the Harvard Forest Website guest access was unexpectedly cut off.  Mentors worked individually with teachers as they began to find ways of collaborating and finding "work-arounds" to technology issues. 






HF Ecologist, Betsy Colburn led a second presentation for experienced Schoolyard teachers who wanted to progress in their ability to lead students in interpreting and/or creating visual representations of their project data.


 Experienced teachers worked with HF Mentors in approaching ways of representing, interpreting and teaching students what the data is saying.





  


    


Teachers Shared Their Work with Each Other 




 Our Changing Forests Teacher, Melanie McCracken, shared a series of Graphing lessons she worked on during the workshop.  After several years leading 2 Schoolyard Projects at Groton-Dunstable High School, she is still finding better ways of approaching getting her students to work with data in ways that fit in the time constraints of a busy curriculum.











Left:  Trinity Catholic School teacher, Lori Primavera, showed a
series of  graphs that she created to help her 4th and 5th grade
students better see what the data is showing in their fifth year
studying the timing of leaf fall at their school.

Upper Right:  Choate-Rosemary Hall  Teacher,  Joe Scanio, showed a new way of representing                                  Our Changing Forests project  data spatially using GIS technology.  
Lower Right:  Mass Audubon Educator, Martha Slone, shared how she is helping  students in an                               after-school at Shaughnessy Elementary School in Lowell see what their Buds, Leaves                             and Global Warming project  data is showing.   


In Teachers' Words:  


Technology issues: 

  • Just difficult getting a late start with the issue of getting on the website to retrieve data
  • Data uploaded late in day...I practiced with graphing but I want to go back and graph the three local sites.
  • Though I only made it half way, I am very satisfied. The technology challenge provided opportunity to exchange ideas with Ann Lewis as she worked to send my data to me. I also connected with Fiona about data nuggets am eager to explore that library and incorporate more real data into my high school ecology lessons. I also exchanged valuable strategies with JoAnn Mossman. (Not to mention, Dr. O'Keefe and Melanie McCracken) So, all in all, I feel as if the "detour" facilitated valuable collaboration all on the topic of data. I am confident that I can complete my stated goal back at school, therefore I can honestly say I surpassed my goal!
  • I was hoping to input the data but only got it organized. The delay in being able to access the internet delayed the start to us being able to enter data.
  • Technology was an issue.

Progress in Working with Data: 

  • I was able to focus and concentrate just on this task working with project data), and I had a break through.
  • I mostly received clarity about the data I gathered and input and was able to identify a problem I may not have otherwise found.
  • I was able to get a better understanding of how to work with the data from my sites. I also came up with a series of lesson ideas that I will hopefully have time to use this year.
  • I have a much better understanding of how to present data and the importance of first thinking about what it is you want to show what is the story what is the question
  • More confident because I took time to prepare something I will use. Also seeing and hearing similar as well as different ideas from the other teachers and scientists!

 Presentations: 

  • Dr. Colburn explains things so crystal clear. Every time I hear her presentation, I learn how important it is to represent the data visually.
  • Good conversation and information. It would be helpful to also have the graphs she (Dr. Colburn) presented with and without the labels so we could discuss this kind of graphical analysis with our own students as well.
  • The information was very useful. Dr. Boose also did a nice job giving us additional information while we waited for people to problem solve the technology.
  • It was helpful to see different types of graphs, how to interpret those graphs and data as it's been a while for me. 

  Individual Work Time:

  • I rarely get the chance to give this data my full undivided attention. I often find myself getting interrupted at school or multitasking and trying to beat deadlines . This is a rare chance to slow down and honor the work the students did.
  • More comfortable with navigating site and using tools
  • With the WiFi glitch I did not have time to input data. However all my time was used productively and I could have used some more time to get to speak with all the teachers I hoped to!
  • I graphed on paper particularly due to the tech difficulties. I am interested in exploring online graphing options with support such as this workshop.

Harvard Forest Mentors:

  • I enjoy working side by side the Harvard staff and being fully support. It recharges me.
  • The Harvard Forest staff and mentors did a great job of finding a work around for the tech issues. They were tireless in their problem solving.
  • Supportive and helpful!!
  • Amazing in fact!
  • All staff and mentors were positive and extremely responsive!

Teacher Mentors:

  • It was wonderful to have all the support from HF staff and from the teachers like Joann who presented but also were available to help. I would love to know more about GIS that Joe presented briefly.
  • I loved having teachers like Joann and Joe sharing their expertise. I learn so much and am so inspired by all the teachers. 

Overall: 

  • The workshop was a great motivator and boost!
  • Learned so much, became more confident in using graphs, the day flew by!
  • Even with the technology issues the workshop was hugely valuable. I came with several questions and all were answered. I had a chance to speak with many teachers and staff members, networking is so important.
  • Thank you for offering many opportunities for supporting teachers. The multiple workshops offered at various levels gives many opportunities for everyone to learn more, reflect on teaching activities and make contacts with colleagues
  • Today seemed perfect (except for internet connection)- I really appreciated the "one-minute" teacher presentations as well as the overview by Betsy. Good availability of mentors! large block of time to work on our next graphing steps in the company of inspiring fellow teachers!

Suggestions: 

  • Maybe some time to look at student work?

Links to Related Resources: 


Harvard Forest Staff Presentations and Data Workshop Resources:  
Teacher Joe Scanio Spatial Analysis Resources:
Teacher Created Graphs of Schoolyard Data: 

Stay Tuned for:

  • DATE for Spring Workshop TBA-Teachers and Staff are currently submitting availability on Doodle Poll.  






No comments:

Post a Comment